- 02 pontoons
- 295 feet deep lake
- 1000s of stars
The float plane touches down in the waters of Atikaki Provincial Wilderness Park. First up is an excursion to learn the secrets to wilderness fishing and how to prepare a traditional shore lunch. Then it’s a hike along a historic portage where fur traders once walked. Along the way you see ancient pictographs and learn about the history of Aikens Lake, the Gammons River and the Bloodvein River—The Pathways of the Voyageurs.
You keep your camera ready for a chance to snap a picture of a moose, black bear, caribou, beaver or muskrat. The treetops are alive with a rhapsody of bird calls. Then you return to the lodge for an evening of French-Canadian and Métis cuisine, storytelling and song. Night falls, but the day’s adventure is not done yet. You and your party head out for a spectacular star walk. You and nature have never been so close.
- Truly escape to the outdoors--the camp you'll be staying at is the only one on the lake.
- Fish a lake that's one of the deepest in Canada and home to a variety of trophy fish--it's considered one of the top walleye destinations in North America.
- No one does shorelunch like the guides at Aikens Lake. What will today's menu be? Baked Walleye with shallot wine sauce? Honey-glazed smoked Lake Trout? Parmesan Walleye? Bacon-wrapped Walleye bites? Yum!
- Wildlife encounters: the lodge's remote setting means moose, black bear, otters, beavers, and bald and golden eagles are spotted regularly--you may even see a reclusive timber wolf or woodland caribou.
- There's no light pollution up here, so if the night sky is cloud-free, stargazing is magical!
- The ideal time to escape to the lake is late-May to mid-September.
- Wireless Internet access is available for those who need to stay in touch with the outside world.
- Winnipeg International Airport is only one connection away from many major centres including Minneapolis, Chicago, Denver, Toronto, and Calgary.
- Once you arrive in Winnipeg, drive 1 1/2 hours to the Silver Falls, Manitoba where you will then board a float plane to take a 30-minute flight to Aikens Lake.
- View current highway conditions.