- 50 million copies of the story sold worldwide
- 01 longest running Canadian play
- 100-plus years since first publication
Fall in love with a red-headed girl. Run through the forests and past the rivers of "Avonlea." Hear the whispers of "kindred spirits" calling from the woods. Take part in a potato-sack race and sip on raspberry cordial. Visit the childhood home of the author who brought her to life more than 100 years ago and understand why she is beloved by millions of people around the world. Sing along with the country's longest running musical. Munch on chocolates that bear her likeness. Be transported to your youth through the smiles and giggles around you. Love the setting as much as the story.
Explore Cavendish through its culinary offerings. Bike the Confederation Trial. Golf a championship course. Spoil yourself at a tea shop. Discover someone whose dog-eared copy comes in one of 20 other languages. Indulge in the simplicity of a fictional town come to life and linger as long as you like.
- Avonlea takes you into the world of Anne with costumed interpreters, games and races.
- Explore Green Gables Heritage Place - the real life farm home of Lucy Maud Montgomery that was fictionalized in the book.
- Visit the Bideford Parsonage Museum that boarded Lucy Maud Montgomery during her first teaching position.
- Stop for tea and a chat at "Anne's Perfectly Scrumptious Wild-Rose Tea Party".
- Sing along with Canada's longest running musical at "Anne of Green Gables - the musical" in Charlottetown.
- Sample locally made goods at the Prince Edward Island Preserve Company, perfect for now or later.
- Prince Edward Island is warmest in the summer months (June to September) when waters are warm and perfect for swimming. There is an increased chance of precipitation in the winter and spring months (December to March).
- Discover local weather information. Research local weather patterns at Environment Canada's Canadian Climate Website.
- Avonlea Village Hours & Admission Prices.
- Avonlea Village is open seasonally (June - September).
- On-site food & beverage.
- Gift shops on site offer plenty of souvenirs.
- Summers in PEI are wonderful: warm and sunny and most outdoor activities are up and running in July and August.
- The shoulder season in early September offers a scaled back version of Avonlea activities.
- Green Gables Heritage Place is only open on certain days and times from May - October.
- Avonlea Village is wheelchair accessible and allows working dogs.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes and apparel (dressing like characters from the book is encouraged).
- Plenty of children's programming available in-season.
- Plan to spend a good portion of your day here.
- The easiest way to get here is by car.
- Cavendish is located 30 minutes from Charlottetown.
- Taxis are available to-and-from the area.
- On-site parking is available.