- 90 million dollar exhibition
- 360 degree domed theatre
- 5886 square metres of polar bear enclosure in the Churchill Coast exhibit
Take an inspirational journey to the heart of Manitoba’s north... without leaving Winnipeg. Feel inspired by the Journey to Churchill experience. Become mesmerised by polar bears swimming and playing above your head in the Sea Ice Passage underwater viewing tunnels. Thrill to the rare privilege of getting up close to a polar bear during an aminal encounter with a zookeeper.
Explore the different landscapes of Churchill from the boreal forest to its tundra and see the animals who make the barren land their home; from caribou and muskoxen, to Arctic fox and wolves. Get a VIP behind-the-scenes look at life at the Zoo. Learn about the important wildlife conservation and environmental protection work that happens in Canada’s only Polar Bear Conservation Centre on an exclusive tour with a researcher. Leave feeling truly inspired to make changes to help stop our actions impacting on life for the animals in Manitoba’s north.
- Become inspired by a taste of Manitoba’s frozen north and immerse yourself in the Journey to Churchill experience: it’s the next best thing to actually being there.
- Get up close and personal with the stars of the show, the rescued polar bears, with a rare insider’s look at their life in the zoo.
- Join a zookeeper for a one on one Positive Reinforcement Training Session with a polar bear. Discover how these sessions help take care of the bears.
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at Canada’s only Polar Bear Conservation Centre and meet the researchers whose work is making a crucial impact on environmental protection and wildlife conservation.
- Get a private tour of the 10-acre exhibit, watch in wonder as polar bears swim and play above and around you in the Sea Ice Passage underwater viewing tunnels.
- Explore the different landscapes of Manitoba’s north, from forest and tundra to ice, and spot caribou, muskoxen, snowy owls, Arctic fox, wolves and seals along the way.
- Get a taste of the wonder of the northern lights as they dance above your head in the Aurora Borealis Theatre, Manitoba's largest 360 degree domed theatre.
- Assiniboine Park Zoo Journey to Churchill information
- Reservations are required
- Tour length 90 minutes
- Available year-round
- The site is fully accessible for all
- The tour is available year-round.
- Summer brings the warmest weather, and bears rest in dens in the cool shade. Many of the dens are built next to viewing windows for visitors to get a closer look.
- All the animals are active in the winter months, when the bears enjoy swimming in the Sea Ice Passage as the water is usually warmer than the temperature outside.
- No skills required, everyone is welcome.
- Guests should wear shoes suitable for walking.
- Summer in Winnipeg is sunny, bring a shady hat and sunglasses and a light jacket and umbrella if it’s raining. Guests should also bring a deet-based insect repellent and stay away from open-toed shoes on bug days.
- Winnipeg winters are long and cold; guests should wear boots, a warm jacket, hat and gloves.