- 525 miles north of Winnipeg
- 60,000 acres pristine waters
- 50 pound lake trout
If you’re casting for a five-star fly-in fishing adventure, you’ll land one of the biggest catches at Big Sand Lake Lodge in northern Manitoba. Everything about this remote destination is world-class, beginning with the lodge, a spectacular facility built of logs and glass atop a huge sand esker overlooking the lake.
The views are breathtaking here in this wilderness paradise, as you gaze at a virtually uninhabited frontier of birch and pine forest, and water. Big Sand Lake yields some of the biggest fish in Manitoba. Your guides are a big part of what makes Big Sand Lake Lodge extraordinary. You’ll be awed by their knowledge. On shore, the attentive staff ensures that your every need is met. Meals are fresh, homemade and varied. But the biggest story at Big Sand Lake Lodge is the fishing, so after that last bit of dessert, head out in evening with your guide to fish under starry skies.
- Fly to the remote wilderness of northern Manitoba for world-class trophy fishing: you’ve a good chance to catch and release trophy 20-30lb northern pike, massive 50lb lake trout, as well as vast numbers of walleye and arctic grayling.
- Feel the excitement build as you soar over virtually uninhabited subarctic frontier en route to the lodge, with birch, pines and water in seemingly every direction below.
- Relax in the main lodge that features sweeping views of the lake and thick patterns of birch and pine forest, home to moose, bears and wolves.
- Dig into tasty shore lunches of fresh walleye, lake trout or northern pike.
- Take a day’s fly-out excursion with your guide to one of several remote fishing lakes.
- Bed down at night in one of the rustic and comfortable log cabins, each of which has a wood-burning fireplace, two queen-sized beds, full bathroom and a deck with stunning views of either Big Sand Lake or Kitimiwi Lake.
- Opt for a Big Sand Lake Lodge outpost fishing trip.
- Extend your stay in northern Manitoba to view beluga whales or polar bears on a wilderness adventure near Churchill.
- Find out about main lodge packages and outpost camp packages.
- The lodge recommends that guests prepare all travel arrangements with Continental Travel Group in Winnipeg. They have access to special “unpublished” airfares for anglers, can arrange your ticket from anywhere in the United States or Canada and will contact the lodge if there are unexpected changes to your airline schedule. You can also use their online booking form.
- There is high-speed Internet connection and satellite telephone service in the main lodge.
- Big Sand Lake Lodge is open to fishing guests in June, plus 7-day monster trout fishing packages in late-September/early-October. Packages are for five or ten days.
- A non-refundable deposit of $500 is required at the time of booking.
- Guests are required to practice catch and release on all fish caught in Big Sand Lake waters except for fish caught for shore lunch.
- You will need a Manitoba fishing licence.
- Pack clothes for layering, as well as a high-quality rain suit and waterproof boots.
- Luggage weight is limited to 45 lbs — one bag and one rod case.
- Big Sand Lake Lodge is located in northern Manitoba, 845 km north of Winnipeg. It is fly-in only. Packages include round-trip air transportation from Winnipeg.
- Winnipeg is the gateway city, serviced from various Canadian and US cities.
- You will need to be in Winnipeg the evening prior to your departure for the lodge. A representative will meet you at the Winnipeg International Airport and drive you to your overnight accommodations.
- Your flight connections from Winnipeg home should be booked with a departure after 4:00pm.
- The lodge recommends a trusted travel agency in Winnipeg, Continental Travel Group. Contact them directly for help with all travel planning and booking.
- If you prefer booking with your own travel agent, please verify the dates and times you need to be in Winnipeg.