- 08°C below zero - temperature for ice wine grape harvesting
- 1984 first ice wine bottled by Inniskillin
- 90 minutes drive from Toronto
Discover the secrets of Icewine with Inniskillin’s Extreme Canadian Icewine Experience; designed to tantalize your taste buds and awaken the wine connoisseur within you. Learn Innikillin’s secrets for producing award-winning Icewine as you indulge your curiosity and your palate with this truly unique wine adventure. Our Extreme Canadian Icewine Experience has been carefully designed to tantalize your taste buds and awaken the wine enthusiast within you.
Strolling through the Icewine vineyard with a glass of Sparkling Vidal Icewine, you’ll unearth the magical process of creating Icewine. As you discover how the grapes are left on the netted vine well into the winter months to concentrate, we’ll explain how the flavour intensifies and how we know the exact moment to harvest the grapes when the temperature drops below minus eight degrees Celsius for a sustained period of time.
In the underground cellar, where historic Icewines are aging, you’ll be treated to a private, structured wine tasting. A comparative tasting of our Riesling and Oak Vidal Icewines, using a Riedel Vinum Extreme Icewine Glass will transform your understanding of how the shape of a glass distinctly affects the aroma and taste of the wine. This is where the luxurious feeling of being in a secluded cellar with an exquisite wine really resonates with our Icewine guests. It’s a true rustic experience that relates to Inniskillin’s historical roots.
After comparing several styles, a duet of unlikely food pairings stages the grand finale as you experiment and identify which Icewine best pairs with which culinary delicacy.
Inniskillin was the first winery to receive a winery license after prohibition. They are recipients of the internationally acclaimed Grand Prix d'Honneur, and were instrumental in developing Canada's VQA system. The winery is open year round and is located 1 ½ hours from Toronto. Tours accommodate a maximum of 30 people, and last 60-90 minutes. Reservations recommended. Food/meal options are available.
- Enjoy a welcoming glass of sparkling Vidal Icewine as you begin your Extreme Canadian Wine Experience.
- Tour Inniskillin's winery, learning the master vintners' secrets to icewine making.
- See rare, historic bottles of icewine aging in racks in the Underground Cellar.
- Enjoy a private comparative tasting of Riesling Icewine, Oak Aged Vidal Icewine, and Red Cabernet Franc Icewine.
- Learn why drinking from a Riedel Vinum Extreme Icewine glass enhances your tasting experience.
- Cleanse your palate with an unlikely but delectable combination of aged parmesan cheese and chocolate.
- The Niagara Peninsula is located in one of Ontario's most southerly areas and enjoys a climate moderated by the proximity of two Great Lakes. In spring and fall, the days are mild but summer brings warm, even hot weather. Winter temperatures tend to be less severe than other regions of the province but lake effect snow isn't unusual.
- Discover local weather information. Research local weather patterns at Environment Canada's Canadian Climate Website.
- Inniskillin Winery Hours of Operation.
- Open year round. Closed major holidays.
- Winery shop onsite.
- Allow several hours to enjoy the tour and tasting.
- Wear comfortable walking/hiking footwear if you plan to tour the vineyards.
- The Underground Cellar is cool, even in summer, so a sweater or light jacket is a good idea.