- 25000 decendants of the original Acadians in New Brunswick
- 09 Acadian characters from La Sagouine come to life
- 12 traditional and unique Acadian dishes to taste
Engage all of your senses immersed in the 'country' of La Sagouine, where Acadian author Antonine Maillet's well-loved stories come to life. Stroll across the water on a wide boardwalk to this recreated 1940s Acadian fishing village and meet her colourful characters. Help bake some traditional pets-de-soeur pastries, learn to play the spoons and tap your toes to the infectious beat of Acadian folk tunes at this summer-long kitchen party. Maillet's characters, like the fiesty washerwoman La Sagouine, embody the spirit of today's Acadians. More than 250 years since their ancestors were exiled from this region, their unique, fun-loving culture endures.
- Celebrate French Acadian “joie de vivre” in a recreated island village filled with colourful, costumed characters, music and food.
- Eat homey Acadian foods like chicken fricot, poutine rapée and quahog pie at the Acadian lunch buffet or dinner theatre in L'Ordre du Bon Temps restaurant.
- Munch on lobster rolls or belly up to the bar for a shot of “bootleg bagosse” and listen to La Sagouine's wry commentary on Acadian life.
- Join the daily kitchen parties for impromptu music and dance.
- July and August bring the warmest weather. • Visit on Saturdays for Discover L'Acadie through your Five Senses, a hands-on family experience.
- August 15 is the Acadian National Holiday – so come to the region to celebrate Tintamarre in the Acadian town of Caraquet, where the tradition of noisy revelry originates.
- Plan to spend a whole day at Le Pays de la Sagouine to enjoy lunch and daily entertainment, or come for an evening dinner show.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes and apparel.
- A fun venue, suitable for all ages and abilities.
- Most of the shows are conducted in (Acadian) French but there is a daily English presentation.
- Le Pays de la Sagouine is in Bouctouche, a 40-minute drive from Moncton.
- On-site parking for cars and RVs.