- 14 million objects and documents
- 03 years to create an exhibit
- 01 secret elevator
Step behind the scenes of one of Canada's most important natural and cultural museums. Slip on a backstage pass and follow your guide on a winding tour through labs, backrooms and workshops. On the Exhibition Art and Special FX Tour, step into the design studio where craftspeople transform concept drawings into room-filling dioramas. On the Paleontology Revealed Tour, examine a newly-arrived Cretaceous fossil. On the Entomology Revealed Tour, peer into a jar of baby spiders. Mingle with curators and craftspeople. Meet the people who bring the exhibits and collections to life. See the museum the way they do: as a living, breathing adventure.
- Feel like a VIP as you join a small group of visitors to wander behind the scenes--literally--of a museum exhibit.
- Tour the industrial light and magic of the exhibit prop shops.
- Ask a paleontologist how they recreated Woolly mammoth fur.
- Watch an entomologist pin a dragon fly.
- Browse historical maps and photographs in the BC Archives.
- Wander galleries that take you back in time, under the ocean, into a forest, and aboard an explorer's ship.
- Tours are free, but call ahead for times and availability.
- Group size may be limited, call to make arrangements for large groups.
- Due to the proximity to delicate items on some tours, close adult supervision is requested.
- Plan for an hour and a half for the tour.
- Allow a day to explore other attraction in the museum.