- 135 years of farmers sharing their produce
- 06 days per week year round market experience
- 35 vendors to discover
North America's oldest farmer's market remains the heart of the city of Saint John, New Brunswick. Centuries ago the site with it's inverted keel-like roof was a testimonial to the city's role as one of the world's leading shipbuilding centers.
Today it is a nostalgic reminder of how far the city has come. The market, created as a place to sell, buy or barter farm produce, meat and fish, homemade pies and cottage crafts, has grown over the years. The stalls still house butchers, sausage makers, fishmongers, cheese artisans, fruit and delicatessan vendors, bakers and more, but they also offer a local, national and international glimpse of the best foods from around the world. From British mush peas and Korean ginseng tea to fish caught just off its shores, the market is a must-stop for picnic packers and lunch break takers alike.
- Look up at the ceiling of the building and recognize the boat like shape - a tribute to the history of shipbuilding in the area.
- Grab a front row seat to local culture simply by watching the locals chat and shop on a Saturday morning.
- Head to Billy's Seafood Company, knowing the seafood treasures you find can be easily boxed for the trip home.
- Sample the area's culture through its unique food offerings including the pickled fiddleheads, lobster antipasto and maple fudge from Slocum & Ferris in the market.
- Get the things you won't find anywhere else in St. Johns: locally made wine at Winegarden Estate, Korean ginseng tea at Kim's and organic bread at The Baking Stone.
- Saint John City Market Hours of Operation.
- Parking available in indoor garages at Brunswick Square and Market Square or in one of numerous outdoor lots nearby.
- There are several restaurants on site and places to sit and sample your purchases.
- The market is open year round.
- Expect bigger crowds on the weekends.
- Closed Sundays and Holidays.
- The market is wheelchair accessible.
- The market runs a full city block, wear comfortable shoes and be prepared to take your time to enjoy it all.